Your Credit Union, Your Community
Community Engagement Programme
We understand the importance of supporting our community and this has always been practically demonstrated through our donations to, and sponsorships of, a wide range of community groups. In 2012 we realised that by acting in a more strategic manner we could have a beneficial, long-term impact on our community and benefit our members in a more effective way.
- We began actively working on this strategy in 2012 when we committed our support to the children’s ward in UHG as our chosen charity. We were delighted when the playground, in the hospital grounds, which was built with the help of the funds raised, was opened in November this year.
- In 2014 we introduced college bursaries for each of the secondary schools in our area, to date over €40,000 has benefited 27 students.
- These in turn led to the creation of a dedicated fund and the launch of a community engagement programme in 2015. This fund enables us to commit to providing funding for a number of projects in key areas – arts, education, sport, social disadvantage & international development – for a period of five years. This commitment allows us and our community partners to engage in long-term planning and to seek matching funding for specific projects. The initiative will bring stability to the various projects and ultimately better outcomes for all.
- An initial fund of €200,000 was allocated to set up the initiative and the first three beneficiaries were Druid and the ILCU Foundation as well as Salthill Knocknacarra who were the first club.
- In 2016 a further €100,000 was allocated to the community engagement fund and we have made agreements with two more partners namely, Cúram and Galway Simon community.
- The partners and the projects are diverse in nature. The diversity is deliberate and ensures that the innovative programme benefits all our members whoever they are and whatever their needs may be.